We’ll never give up hope, says mum of missing Gosport sailor

APPEAL Timmy MacColl
APPEAL Timmy MacColl
Share this article
CPO Martin Owen helps Meon Junior School pupils with their Lego robots. Picture by Malcolm Wells

Navy engineers help students to perfect their Lego robots

Have your say

THE mother of missing Gosport sailor Timmy MacColl has said his family will never give up hope of finding him.

Sheena MacColl, 49, spoke exclusively to The News as it emerged her son’s ship HMS Westminster, pictured, is due back in Portsmouth on August 13.

The 27-year-old vanished after getting into a taxi outside a Dubai nightclub in the early hours of May 27 during a break from patrols in the Gulf.

Despite appeals and underwater searches around Port Rashid, local detectives have been unable to piece together what happened to the dad-of-two.

‘It’s a very difficult time,’ said Mrs MacColl.

‘We just keep going, keep hoping. It’s up and down every day. We’ve been contacting MPs and the Foreign Office to get answers but there’s just nothing.

‘We’ve just got to keep going day to day. You get up in the morning and hope there will be something but there’s not.’

Timmy’s wife Rachael, 25, is expecting the couple’s third child in October.

Sheena, who lives in Timmy’s home town of Killin, Scotland, confirmed her grandchildren Cameron, seven, and Skye, four, have been told their dad is missing.

She said: ‘Rachael is doing okay. She’s keeping busy and the kids are on their summer holidays now. The kids are aware of what’s going on but they are very young.’

The navy said it had no new information on the case yesterday.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman added the British Embassy in Dubai is in contact with local authorities.

Devoted dad vanished after day off

LEADING Seaman Timmy MacColl was enjoying a break from duties with HMS Westminster in the Gulf when he vanished after a day out drinking in Dubai with his shipmates.

Eyewitness accounts given to the family and Dubai police say two Westminster colleagues, a man and a woman, put the 27-year-old into a taxi on his own and paid the fare up front after door staff at the Rock Bottom Cafe found him asleep in the bar.

The taxi picked up Timmy at around 2am on May 27.

Dubai detectives interviewed the driver who said he drove to Port Rashid where Westminster was alongside, but then got lost.

The driver told police he pulled over to ask for directions and Timmy got out of the cab.

This is the last known sighting of the sailor, whose family, – including his pregnant wife Rachael – flew to Dubai last month and were given the information by the head of police.

Navy divers from the minesweepers HMS Middleton and HMS Pembroke found nothing in a recent search of the port.