Delighted Ken gets precious medal back

The beast from the east reached Southsea.  Old Portsmouth.  Picture Credit: Keith Woodland PPP-180318-093601006

Warning issued as snow and ice woes continue

A VETERAN is overjoyed after being reunited with his lost medal.

Ken Tomlinson, 76, was desperate after losing his Imperial Service Medal at a Remembrance Day parade.

Mr Tomlinson hadn't realised he had lost the prized medal until he returned home from taking part in the parade and service at Holy Trinity Church in West Street, Fareham.

It seemed that it had been knocked off when he removed his anorak inside the church on what had been a very wet day.

Now it has been returned after an appeal in The News and at

Mr Tomlinson, of Newtown in Portchester, said: 'I'm so happy to get it back, particularly as it's in time for Christmas.

'And thank you to The News for what you have done to help. I'm so grateful for everyone's help.

'The medal has now gone safely back in its box and it will stay there until it's needed again next year.

'And next time I take it out I will make sure it will stay firmly clamped on - I don't want this to happen again.'

In the first few days after the story ran, Mr Tomlinson heard nothing about the medal, and thought it was gone for good.

It turned out that it was found after the service and handed to someone. But because Mr Tomlinson spends much of his time at his wife Maureen's side at a care home in Sarisbury Green, he hadn't been able to spare much time to try to track it down.

Ted Burridge, 74, from the Royal British Legion and Royal Air Force Association was the one who picked it up. Mr Burridge, of Crescent Road, Fareham said: 'I had a look at the inscription and could see who it belonged to, so I was fairly confident that I could get it back to Ken.

'I had a look in the phone book, but couldn't find him.

'Understandably he was in a bit of a flap, but Ken's got his gong back and that's the most important thing.'

It was a mutual friend who saw the story in The News and knew where Mr Tomlinson lived.

He was able to return the medal to its rightful owner.

The medal was given to Mr Tomlinson on his retirement for his three decades service as a civilian driver for the Ministry of Defence.

Mr Tomlinson served in the navy during the 1950s, based at HMS Daedalus in Lee-on-the-Solent, before leaving and taking up the driver's role.