Driver’s lucky escape as supermarket trip ends in crash drama

The overturned car
The overturned car
Share this article
Fareham College

Fareham College scoops prestigious national award

Have your say

IT WAS supposed to be a quick trip to the supermarket but this is how it ended.

Amazingly the driver was able to walk away from this crumpled wreck practically unscathed.

The accident happened yesterday on the service road as the 50-year-old woman left Asda, in Bedhampton, at 11.30am.

Witnesses said the car came down the hill, round the mini roundabout and shot across the opposite side of the road in front of oncoming traffic, spun over and crashed into a tree.

There appeared to be a child’s booster seat in the back of the silver Vauxhall Astra although the woman was alone in the car.

It is not known how she lost control of the vehicle but she was able to free herself before paramedics arrived to take her to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham.

She was treated there for minor arm and leg injuries.

The News columnist Bob Hind was at the scene.

He said: ‘I can’t see how she got out of the car herself as it doesn’t even look like the doors would open. It’s amazing really.

‘I spoke to her husband who had just arrived and he told me what happened.

‘He said she was coming down from the car park to the mini roundabout and the car went across the reservation, across the oncoming traffic and onto a grass bank.

‘It hit a tree and turned turtle. Because there are two exits, one to the industrial estate and one to the garage, you would only be doing about 20mph to 25mph. I don’t know how it happened.

‘Her husband said she was taken away by ambulance but was okay.’

The road was blocked as paramedics attended to the woman and a recovery truck picked the vehicle up. Traffic was backed up along Purbrook Way from the Hulbert Road junction for about an hour.

Sergeant Tracy Scrase from Hampshire Constabulary force control room said officers were treating the incident as an accident.

No arrests were made and there was no need to close the roads.

A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service confirmed the woman was taken to hospital with minor arm and leg injuries.