DVD player caught fire inside family’s Havant home

Emergency services working at the site of the Shoreham air disaster. Picture: Steve Parsons/PA Wire

Shoreham Air disaster pilot pleads not guilty to 11 deaths

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS are warning people not to overload plug sockets after attending a fire in a home in Havant.

The fire was caused by a DVD player which had overheated and blown up.

It took two crews from Havant 40 minutes to put out the small blaze in Michael Crook Close, Havant.

They were called at just after midday on Saturday by the family that lives in the home.

As soon as the family noticed the DVD player was on fire, they shut the doors to the room before evacuating the house and calling the fire brigade.

Firefighters doused the fire and cleared the smoke from the house.

No-one was injured in the incident, but the home was damaged by smoke.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘The family did all the right things in this incident, but it could’ve been much worse.

‘We would like to take this opportunity to remind people not to overload their electric appliances, as this is what causes the problem.’