Amelia Gould, Head of Engineering at BAE Systems, Naval Ships, Combat Sytems with Year 7 students from Carisbrooke College on The Isle of Wight at Land Rover BAR. From left: Sam I'Anson, Elissa Gildart and Laila Elias     

Picture: Malcolm Wells (180116-3654)

Year of engineering campaign backed by Land Rover BAR

Have your say

A FORMER sailor died within three days of going to his GP complaining of back and kidney problems, an inquest has heard.

Philip Caines, of Brook Lane in Sarisbury Green, developed shakes and pain and was admitted urgently to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth on November 12, 2009.

But two days later the 61-year-old’s legs became weak and paralysed and it was suspected that this might be caused by pressure on his spinal cord.

He was transferred to Southampton General Hospital’s neurological unit where they could carry out a more detailed scan.

Mr Caines, who served in the navy, was put in a full body MRI scanner for about two-and-a-half hours on November 15 under a full anaesthetic.

Consultants gave evidence that nothing seemed unusual during the procedure. After the scan, a line to administer drugs was put in and it was as the dressing was being put on this that Mr Caines suffered a heart attack. Staff were unable to revive him.

A pathologist’s report said that the primary cause of death was blood poisoning, with the heart attack a contributing factor.

Nick Boeree, a consultant spinal surgeon at Southampton, said that people with underlying kidney problems, like Mr Caines, were more open to infections which could spread to other parts of the body.

Coroner Keith Wiseman recorded a verdict of death by natural causes.

He said: ‘The deterioration of Mr Caines was sudden and a frightening and terrifying situation for his family.’

But he said he did not feel that the hospital staff had done anything that could lead to a verdict of misadventure, and that Mr Caines died as the result of ‘overwhelming infection’.

Mr Caines’ widow Brenda and their two sons attended the inquest but declined to comment afterwards.