Advice on how to stay CO safe at University of Portsmouth

Share this article
Have your say

STUDENTS at the University of Portsmouth will be better protected against the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Freshers at the university have this week been given life-saving advice as part of a safety awareness clinic run during Freshers’ Week.

More than 16,000 students visited the two-day Freshers’ Fayre, where they received essential information on how to stay CO safe, including having working carbon monoxide alarms.

Union president Cat Redding said: ‘This was a great opportunity to remind students to check with landlords that all heating and cooking appliances in their accommodation have been safety checked and to warn them of the danger signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to look out for.

‘We also teamed up with Sprue Safety Products to give away 20 FireAngel carbon monoxide alarms in a free tombola, which attracted lots of students.

‘This gave us the chance to talk to them about the risks of carbon monoxide.

‘Some were really clued up about the dangers, but others didn’t even know what it was.

‘We will definitely be running this campaign over the cold winter months, as it really highlighted a need for further awareness.’

Around 40 people die in the UK each year as a result of CO poisoning and 4,000 people attend accident and emergency departments with symptoms.

Visit or