AN MP has backed The News’ campaign to improve funding for the city’s schools.
Portsmouth South MP Stephen Morgan has spoken out as the city is set to lose £3.7m from its education budget, with 50 schools worse off.
The News has been highlighting the drastic cuts to schools. Headteachers marched on parliament this month over the cuts.
Backing the campaign, Mr Morgan said: ‘I really value The News as a local community paper and welcome their support in campaigning to fight these cuts to Portsmouth schools.
‘It is important to ensure that we provide all our children with the best possible chances in life.’
A government funding formula will see schools lose out.
Former school governor Mr Morgan said: ‘This year the city is set to lose £3.7m from its education budget with 50 out 56 schools set to be worse off.
‘I am particularly concerned that schools in the city are having to write to parents asking for contributions to support their running costs.
‘I know of one school in Fratton which needed to ask for donations from parents to buy glue sticks and other stationery.’
Mr Morgan also spoke about the launch of his own campaign – Portsmouth Against School Cuts – and his quest to ensure the city’s headteachers are provided with budgets that are ‘fit for purpose’.
As part of the campaign, Mr Morgan has provided his constituents with a letter template to write to education secretary Damian Hinds.
He is urging parents to complete and sign the letter to show a united support for fairer funding ahead of autumn budget, due out on Monday.
He added: ‘I know how passionate parents in our city are about their children’s futures. It is time for the government to hear from them about what is happening on the ground and in our classrooms.’
Mr Morgan has produced 500 posters to garner support for his campaign.
The Department for Education previously said ‘more money is going into schools than ever before which will rise to a record £43.5 billion by 2020’.