Electrocution of swan prompts safety measures

Mutiny Festival 2018 on Saturday. Picture: Duncan Shepherd

Final day of Mutiny Festival 2018 cancelled after two people die

0
Have your say

AN ANIMAL rescue group hopes wildlife will be protected after measures were put in place following the electrocution of a swan.

The bird hit overhead power lines at the back of the Pets at Home store at the Arun Retail Park, in Shripney Road, Bognor, in June.

Simon Wild, of West Sussex Wildlife Protection, negotiated with energy company Scottish and Southern Energy to install deflectors to help keep birds safe in the future.

He said: ‘Scottish and Southern Energy have had to do some expensive work including closing off a major power line, so it is refreshing to have a company that cares and is not just motivated by profit.’

A spokesman said 15 deflectors were installed along a 90-metre stretch of overhead wires to stop birds flying into the cables.