Emsworth man died from being exposed to asbestos

Tributes left outside Fareham Academy.

Picture: Ian Hargreaves (180012-4)

Tributes paid to ‘outstanding’ PE teacher who died suddenly over Christmas

Have your say

AN EMSWORTH man died from asbestos poisoning having been exposed to the material when he worked as a labourer.

At an inquest into the death of Keith Rogers, it was heard the 63-year-old was ‘very healthy’ until September, 2011.

In information provided by his ex-wife Constance, read out by coroner’s officer Lyn Ralfe, it was heard at that point he started having shortness of breath.

He went to his GP and was prescribed medication for gout, but by the end of April he was still unwell and was sent for a biopsy at St Richard’s Hospital.

Mr Rogers, of Westbourne Road, was found to have mesothelioma, and was cared for by his family until he died on August 8.

A statement from Mr Roger’s solicitor was read out, stating the labourer had worked with asbestos lagging early in his career.

Coroner for West Sussex Penelope Schofield recorded that he died from an industrial disease.