Emsworth residents flee cooker fires

Picture: Malcolm Wells

Five reasons to buy Thursday’s News - including jobs

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to get smoke alarms fitted after residents had a lucky escape when their cookers caught fire.

Crews from Havant fire station were called to a cooker fire which had spread in the kitchen of a flat in West Street, Emsworth, at 12.04pm yesterday.

More than an hour later firefighters were sent to a house in Oxenwood Green, Havant, where a cooker fire had also started in a kitchen.

Firefighters put out the flames in both homes and fitted smoke alarms after discovering neither property had one.

Following the fires red watch manager Tim Burgess, from Havant fire station, issued a warning about the potential dangers.

He said: ‘Neither home had smoke alarms fitted which was quite worrying. It’s extremely important that people have smoke alarms fitted in their homes because they reduce the risk of danger. Fortunately no-one was taken injured, but it could have been a lot worse.’