Family flee blaze started by phone charger

Seven fire engines were called to Admiralty Quarter
Seven fire engines were called to Admiralty Quarter
Share this article
Cllr John Perry

Ukip councillor who once brandished banana at councillors quits as leader

Have your say

AN overheated mobile phone charger caused a family to flee their home in the early hours of the morning.

The fire began when the charger was left on overnight in the kitchen of the home in Havant Road, Drayton.

The smell of smoke woke the family at 5am and they fled the house. A crew from Cosham fire station spent half an hour putting out the fire and trying to get rid of the smoke which caused a lot of damage to the kitchen.

Watch manager Mark Norton said: ‘There was quite heavy smoke log to the kitchen area. There was smoke logging to the rest of the ground floor area but fortunately everyone was out before we arrived.

‘They did have a working smoke alarms but because the kitchen doors were shut there was insufficient smoke into the hallway to trigger it.’

Mr Norton added: ‘I would suggest that to leave it (a mobile phone charger) plugged in an unattended overnight for a long period of time would not be ideal.’

He added that any electrical appliance that is not needed, such as a kettle or microwave, should be switched off an unplugged.