Family flee Portsmouth home kitchen fire

Share this article
Mike Bailey, 28, left with, and Matt Lucas, 23, who helped save the injured man ''Picture by:  Malcolm Wells (180219-7042)

Portsmouth pub boss tells of his pride in staff who saved attack victim

Have your say

A FIRE destroyed the kitchen of a house as the family were getting up.

The alarm was raised and firefighters sent to Monmouth Road in North End, Portsmouth, shortly before 8am on Saturday.

Two adults and four children who lived in the terraced house were able to escape without any injuries.

A pair of fire engines from Cosham station blocked the road and a cordon was put up as four firefighters in breathing apparatus used two hose reels to tackle the blaze.

Watch manager Tim Pringle said: ‘When the fire started mum shot upstairs and got all the children out. The fire started in the kitchen in the back of the house.

‘The kitchen is 80 per cent damaged by flames and smoke and the rest of the property is smoke-damaged. We’re trying to find out what the cause of the fire was.

‘The house had no smoke alarms, so if this had been in the middle of the night it could have been quite serious.

‘If anyone hasn’t got a working smoke alarm they should contact us and we would be happy to come and talk to them.’

For information on fire safety call (023) 8062 6809.

The cordon was lifted at about 9.15am.