Family taken to hospital after Titchfield Common fire

Share this article
GONE Alan Burnett's picture of the 'wanton act of official vandalism'

LETTER OF THE DAY: Why tear up our Peace Garden?

Have your say

GAS from a can of glue caused the living room of a home to go up in flames.

Two adults and two children have been taken to hospital after a house fire in Titchfield Common.

The drama happened at 11.20pm last night in Churchill Close.

Two crews from Fareham and one from Gosport were called to the detached property after a spray glue ignited as it was being used by a resident near an open fire.

Fareham white watch manager Jim Stone said: ‘As we went to the incident we had an update to say there were children in the upstairs of the property and the fire was downstairs.

‘When we got there all the occupants – two children and four adults – had managed to get out.’

Crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels and a jet to put out the flames.

Firefighters were on scene until 2am.

The fire started in the living room after one of the residents had been using an adhesive near an open flame.

The incident is not being treated as suspicious.

‘Someone had been using an adhesive near an open fire,’ added Mr Stone.

‘The glue is very inflammable and the gas went back to the fire, which ignited very quickly.

‘Everyone was very lucky to get out, as the fire developed very fast.’

Crews say the ground floor of the home has been severely damaged by the fire, while the rest of the property has suffered from smoke damage.

Two adults, a three-year-old girl and a nine-year-old boy, were taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, to be treated for smoke inhalation. Two other adults in the house did not need hospital treatment.

Mr Stone said: ‘We would like to remind people that when using this sort of glue, they make sure they are in a well-ventilated area.

‘Everyone is very lucky to have escaped.

‘The children had to walk through the smoke, which is why they needed to be checked over.’