Fire crews praised for stopping spread of fire

editorial image
Share this article
DFS in Waterlooville. Photo: Google

Chaos as gang of lads on bikes spray silly in Waterlooville DFS

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS tackled a huge blaze which destroyed a shed.

Two crews from Gosport fire station and one from Fareham were called to Sandown Close in Gosport at just after 2pm yesterday.

Firefighters first on the scene were confronted with 20ft-high flames from the shed.

The heat was so intense it melted gutters and plastic window frames on the adjoining house.

The quick response of the firefighters meant the flames did not spread to the house.

Mark Jones, from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: ‘The first crew, from Gosport, was there for about 10 minutes on their own.

‘The station manager would like to single them out for their hard work.

‘If it wasn’t for their quick response the fire would have spread to the house.’

No-one was injured in the fire, which is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault. The shed was completely destroyed in the blaze, which was put out by 3.25pm.

It also damaged nearby fence panels and garden furniture.