Fire crews tackle fire on board warship

ALERT Firefighters arrive outside HMS Edinburgh.  Pictures: Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service
ALERT Firefighters arrive outside HMS Edinburgh. Pictures: Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service
The yacht being towed to Gosport. Credit: GAFIRS

Rescuers tow 44ft yacht to Gosport after fire and engine failure

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS are onboard the Royal Navy’s HMS Edinburgh, at Portsmouth Naval Base, tackling a blaze inside the Type 42 destroyer.

Six crews were sent to HMS Edinburgh at Portsmouth naval base after the ship’s engineers discovered smouldering in the insulation surrounding the refrigeration store.

MAKING IT SAFE Crews on board the warship

MAKING IT SAFE Crews on board the warship

Alongside the ship’s company, they cooled the immediate area to stop the fire from spreading any further.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue said there was no need for the crew to be evacuated.

Group manager Carlton Kerr, who was the officer in charge of the incident, said: ‘The fire was in the insulation material surrounding a cold store area, which was a difficult area to access.

‘Despite this being a challenging fire, crews worked alongside the ship’s crew, supported by the dockyard emergency response team, to successfully stop the spread of the fire and bring the fire under control.’

A total of six crews, from Southsea, Cosham, Portchester, Havant and Hightown, were called to the scene at 4.48pm as well as the specialist equipment team.

They left about five hours later.

Edinburgh, a Type 42 destroyer, returned back to Portsmouth just before Christmas after a six month deployment in the South Atlantic.

Meanwhile, an investigation is being carried out to discover the cause of a fire at Portsmouth naval base.

Six fire crews were called to the base when a fire started under the counter of the base’s NAAFI shop.

Three crews from Southsea, two from Cosham and one from Portchester attended the incident at 2.36am on Sunday.

One crew from Havant was also called to the scene at 3am, but was not needed.

Firefighters quickly contained the blaze and made the scene safe.

They are unsure how the fire started and are carrying out investigations to discover the cause.

Fire crews were on site until 4.07am when they left the scene in the hands of investigators.

No-one was hurt in the incident and the shop was closed during the time the blaze broke out.