Fire hits Southsea fish and chip shop

Share this article
Police officers at the scene of the shooting in Athena Avenue, Crookhorn on February 13, 2017

Drug runner lost ‘half his face’ in turf war shooting – jurors told

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have dealt with a blaze at a Southsea fish and chip shop.

Four fire crews were called to Uncle Buck’s in Castle Road, Southsea at 3.18pm.

The emergency services blocked off Castle Road in all directions for around an hour.

Residents weren’t allowed through while firefighters tackled the blaze.

News reporter Joe Nimmo at the scene said smoke could be seen billowing out of the window but there was no visible sign of fire damage to the outside of the property.

The above living quarters was filled with smoke, he said.

Acting Inspector Darren Ali said: ‘We believe the fire started in the kitchen of the chip shop. It is believed the chip shop was open when the fire started.’

Jignesh Patel, the owner of Castle Stores, next door to the fish shop, said he saw the smoke coming out of the window and raised the alarm.

He said: ‘I saw smoke and thought: “something’s burning”. So I called out to three or four people outside and then I ran around the back of my house.

‘I could see people inside the fish shop so I shouted and told them to get out the front door. I’m just glad everything is OK.’

It’s believed the occupants of the chip shop were treated by paramedics at the scene but were not seriously injured.

Janet May, 42, of Castle Road, who lives three doors down, said: ‘It’s still bad but I’m glad no-one was hurt. It’s bound to happen eventually in a chip shop what with all the hot oil around. I initially thought: “Oh god my house is on fire”.’