FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze in a 18-storey high-rise block of flats in Portsmouth last night.
Crews from Southsea and Cosham fire stations were called to a blaze in the bedroom of a flat on the eighth floor of Barkis House, Brownlow Close, Buckland, shortly after 2am.
Southsea firefighter Rikki Noble said: ‘There were unattended candles in the bedroom. The person was already out of the flat when we got there. They had raised the alarm and other residents living on the same floor had also evacuated.
‘We sent in two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and put out the fire with one hose jet. The room in which the fire was, was severely damaged by smoke.’
A total of four managers anf 32 firefighters attended the scene. There were three fire engines from Southsea, plus an aerial ladder platform, and two engines from Cosham, plus a special equipment unit.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said six breathing apparatus were used in extinguishing the fire and crews left the scene by 3.30am.
Nobody was injured.