Fire Link saves elderly woman’s life in blaze

St Agatha's Church

GRAPHIC IMAGES: 20 ‘appalling’ Twitter posts from a Portsmouth church that sparked an apology

Have your say

AN elderly woman was rescued from a kitchen fire thanks to a specialist smoke alarm fitted by the fire service.

Two fire crews from Chichester were called to the bungalow on Clay Lane, Fishbourne, at 8pm on Sunday after the 87-year-old’s cooking caught fire and spread to nearby newspapers filling her home with toxic black smoke.

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service carried out a home fire safety check at the property last year and installed a Lifeline System with a Fire Link to a 24-hour monitoring centre which detected the fire and 999 was called.