Fire warning as unattended candle causes house blaze

Police outside student accommodation in Stanhope Road, Portsmouth on Friday Picture Ben Fishwick

Man arrested in Portsmouth explosives probe at Stanhope Road student block is released by police

Firefighters are warning people about the dangers of leaving candles unattended after a fire broke out in a house.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to a terraced house on, London Road, Bognor, just before 8.30pm on Wednesday after a passer-by noticed smoke coming from the living room window and dialled 999.

Crews from Bognor arrived minutes later and found the ground floor heavily smoke-logged.

The fire was quickly extinguished but the living room was left severely damaged by fire and the rest of the ground floor damaged by smoke.

The six occupants of the house, who had been eating dinner in a separate room, all managed to escape unharmed after being alerted by the sound of their smoke alarm.

Bognor blue watch manager, Dick Sergent said; 'With the festive season in full swing people may be using candles as part of their Christmas decorations and celebrations so it's important that they take some simple safety precautions.

'Thankfully, because the house was fitted with a working smoke alarm, everyone inside had that vital early warning so they had time to make a safe escape from the house.'

Mr Sergent advised that candles should be placed away from curtains and furniture and out of reach of children and pets.

'They should never be left unattended. Check smoke alarms regularly.