A FIREFIGHTER saved a cat’s life by giving it oxygen after a house fire.
The blaze took hold in a house in Sorrel Close in Locks Heath. One person managed to get out of the house after the fire started in the ground-floor kitchen.
However firefighter Gary Cross discovered the cat, which had hidden behind a curtain, while inspecting the rest of the house.
He said: ‘I opened the curtains and there was the cat.
‘Its tongue was going in and out and it was in shock.
‘I picked it up and took it outside and it just lay there on the floor. I kept it alive with oxygen before it was taken to the vets for treatment.’
Two fire crews from Fareham and High Town put out the fire.