Firefighters issue safety message after unattended candle fire in lounge

Firefighters said the incident could have been much worse if left for longer
Firefighters said the incident could have been much worse if left for longer
0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a safety warning after a lounge fire was started by a candle.

Cosham firefighters have warned of the dangers of lighting candles after they attended a lounge fire.

One crew was called to a flat at Hawthorn Crescent, Portsmouth, at 7.50pm this evening after trick-or-treaters spotted a fire inside an unattended property.

According to a spokesperson for Cosham fire station, the blaze was caused by a Halloween candle that had been left unattended on a living room table, while the resident family went out trick-or-treating.

It was extinguished using one hosereel, no major damage was sustained inside the property and no one was injured.

But the incident, said a spokesperson for the station, could have been worse: ‘The only thing damaged here was a table, but given five more minutes, it could have been worse.

‘Please make sure that candles are placed inside a proper candle holder, are not left unattended and are extinguished before you leave your property.’