Firefighters rescue teenager who fell through Portsmouth school roof

Firefighters rescued the teenager after he fell through the roof of St Paul's Primary School, in Paulsgrove
Firefighters rescued the teenager after he fell through the roof of St Paul's Primary School, in Paulsgrove
Havant MP Alan Mak plants a tree at the Hampshire Farm Meadows near Emsworth

ALAN MAK: Government’s 25 Year Environment Plan is an important step forward

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS had to rescue a 17-year-old boy who fell two storeys through the roof of a school.

The teenager and a group of friends had climbed onto the roof of St Paul’s Catholic Primary School, in Bourne Road, Paulsgrove at around midnight.

Part of the roof surrounds an open courtyard which he fell into and was unable to get out of.

The police and paramedics were called, who then brought in a crew from Cosham Fire Station when they could not rouse the school’s keyholder to let them in.

Firefighters climbed onto the roof and a firefighter with a first aid kit was lowered down into the courtyard by a rope.

While they were assessing the 17-year-old the keyholder turned up and was able to unlock the doors so paramedics could get straight to the teenager.

Firefighter Guy Andrews said: ‘The drop was about two floors. The boy had an injured leg and wasn’t very happy.

‘He was on the flat roof and in the middle of it is a wall that goes down into the courtyard. His mates were there with him but couldn’t get him back up.

‘We put ladders up to the roof and sent someone down by rope. But the keyholder came up and the boy left through the main building.

‘His mates were still there and they were a bit sheepish at first.’

Mr Andrews said at first the boy complained of having no sensation in his legs but was hobbling round within an hour.

He added: ‘He was lucky. In that situation you are either killed or you bounce and you’re okay.’

A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service confirmed the teenager was treated for serious multiple injuries at the scene before being taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham.

The school is investigating the incident with help from Portsmouth City Council’s health and safety team.

Police have confirmed they are not investigating.