Firefighters urge chip lovers to take extra care

Share this article
A main road has been closed off after a suspected bomb was found

COUNTY: Urgent police hunt begins after raiders steal shotguns

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to fry with care following more than 200 chip pan fires last year.

Fire crews in Hampshire were called to 586 kitchen fires in 2011 – and more than a third were due to oil overheating.

The warning to take extra care comes as National Chip Week begins today.

Leaving a chip pan unattended can have disastrous results as the oil can easily overheat and ignite.

Ian Wadmore, from the service’s community safety team, said: ‘Chips will quite rightly be on the menu this week.

‘But the smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.

‘Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep-fat fry never leave the pan unattended.

‘If your pan does catch light, don’t throw water over it – get out, stay out and call 999.’

Safety advice also includes never overfilling a pan with oil. It should never be more than one-third full.

Hampshire firefighters have produced two films to show how dangerous a chip pan fire can be. Visit youtube.com/watch?v=dPr-tOZHmOA