Fond tributes to electrician killed in freak accident

Journalism student 
Murray Jacobsen believes Donald Trump is running scared of a very hostile reception - and that's the real reason he has cancelled his visit to the UK

STUDENT SHOUT: Is Trump running scared of visiting the UK?

Have your say

A RETIRED electrician for the Ministry of Defence died after being electrocuted in a tragic accident at his home.

Ian Sandy spent more than 30 years working at Portsmouth Dockyard and had spent many years wiring warships.

The 62-year-old worked his way up to the respected position of higher professional technology officer, in charge of a team of electricians working on minehunters.

But his life was cruelly cut short after a freak accident while rewiring some cables in the roof space of his home at New Road, Clanfield.

His heartbroken family today spoke of their huge loss and said they felt cheated as Mr Sandy was such a safety-conscious man.

An inquest at Portsmouth Guildhall heard Mr Sandy and his son Kelvin, also an electrician, were rewiring the loft on the day of November 27 last year. The pair were working with the power on, using electrical testing meters to establish the job of each cable.

The inquest heard Mr Sandy touched a live cable and became unconscious.

After switching the power off, Kelvin desperately tried to revive his father using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but was unable to get a pulse.

Firefighters from Horndean station arrived at 12.40pm and continued resuscitation until an ambulance crew came.

Mr Sandy was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, but was declared dead shortly after arriving.

Kelvin, 38, told the inquest: ‘We were rerouting a lighting circuit to another place.

‘We need to work live as electricians to establish which cable does what. There’s a lot of cables there.

‘He did exactly what you would have done.

‘I have had many shocks myself and I am sure my dad had had many shocks in the past. I know he had.

‘Unfortunately this time it went across the heart.’

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Coroner David Horsley said: ‘He was beyond help from the moment this happened.

‘It’s a tragedy when you have two professionals working on something and doing it in the way it’s done in the trade and when it’s virtually impossible to do any other way. It’s entirely due to an accident.’

Mr Sandy’s daughter Adele Richards, 35, of Pyle Close, Cowplain, told The News the inquest had brought some closure for Kelvin.

She said: ‘He blamed himself for a long time, thinking he could have done more, should have done more.

‘We have accepted the fact there was nothing that could have been done.

‘Everything was done. It was an instant thing.’

She added: ‘We have always been an incredibly close family and always supported each other. It’s been hard.

‘It was something we felt should not have happened.

‘Obviously it was an accident. We feel slightly cheated that we did not have more time.’

She said electrical safety was always paramount for her dad.

‘Of all things for it to have been, it just feels so wrong,’ she added.