For sale signs removed at Emsworth former hospital after NHS U-turn 

Emsworth Victoria Cottage Hospital. Picture: Google Street View
Emsworth Victoria Cottage Hospital. Picture: Google Street View

FOR sale signs at the former Emsworth Victoria Cottage Hospital site have now been removed. 

It comes after the South Eastern Hampshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) reversed its decision to label the site ‘surplus’ to the need of GPs in the town. 

Key figures involved in the Emsworth United Campaign, including Dwynwen Stepien, front centre

Key figures involved in the Emsworth United Campaign, including Dwynwen Stepien, front centre

The doctors, who are looking to relocate from the out-of-date Emsworth Surgery, are now set to reconsider the hospital site for their future plans – alongside other locations including Redlands Grange. 

As previously reported, the sales listing U-turn was announced at a packed public meeting on Wednesday – led by campaigners who are fighting to revive the hospital

Dwynwen Stepien has played a key role in the drive – dubbed Emsworth United. 

She said: ‘The whole of Emsworth is absolutely delighted that the for sale signs have been taken down from the Emsworth Victoria Cottage Hospital site.

The packed Emsworth United meeting on Wednesday night

The packed Emsworth United meeting on Wednesday night

‘Thanks to the Emsworth United campaign group, our local MP, the 430 people who attended the public meeting and the 1438 people who signed our petition, we have shown what the community can achieve by working together.’ 

While he was unable to attend the meeting on Wednesday, Havant MP Alan Mak sent his apologies – and hailed the ‘early success’ achieved by the whole community. 

‘Since I found out without notice four weeks ago that the Emsworth Victoria Cottage Hospital site was being listed for sale I have made this issue my number one priority, devoting much time and energy,’ he said. 

‘I am delighted that my efforts have been successful, and the CCG have agreed to my request and have reversed their decision to declare the site as surplus for medical use. ‘While this is an important and early success, it is only the first step in the process – and I will look to secure more progress in the coming months.’

Mr Mak will be hosting a closed roundtable meeting in early September, to discuss plans for future use of the hospital site with all key stakeholders.