APPRENTICESHIPS are something of a buzzword at the moment. For one Portsmouth academy they are an everyday fact of life.
Hampshire Apprenticeship Hairdressing Academy offers apprenticeships in hairdressing from its bespoke training salon in North End, Portsmouth.
The academy has 38 apprentices who are studying for their Level 1 and 2 NVQ Diploma in hairdressing in a working salon, which has 10 workstations where students can get ‘hands-on’. And the clients benefit too.
Co-owner Steve Churcher said: ‘For value for money, they get a fantastic cut at a fraction of the price.’
The courses are designed to be completed within 12 months and the pace of learning is flexible, which gives the academy the edge over traditional educational facilities.
Steve said: ‘We don’t rush our students.’ The academy has been nominated in this year’s Hair and Beauty Awards.
Steve said: ‘It’ll be our first year at the awards. We try to motivate our students by showing them that it’s not just about working in the salon, it’s glitz and glamour too.’
The Hair and Beauty Awards will be held on Saturday, June 15 and will be presented by TV star Amy Childs. Steve said: ‘The fact that she owns her own beauty salons, as well as being famous, ticks all the boxes.’
There’s still time to nominate by using the form, below. Once nominated the salon will be sent an official entry form which must be returned by Saturday, May 4.
The shortlist will be announced on Wednesday, May 10. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
· Junior Stylist of the Year (includes stylists with less than two years experience).
· Colour Technician of the Year (minimum two years salon experience)
· Gents’/Barber of the Year (minimum two years salon or barber shop experience)
· Female Stylist of the Year (minimum two years salon experience)
· Best Bridal/Special Occasion (hair up/extensions/hair art)
· Hair Salon of the Year (trading more than 18 months)
· Best Start-up Salon of the Year (hair or beauty trading 18 months or less)
· Beauty Therapist of the Year (beauticians/male & female grooming/tanning etc)
· Nail Technician of the Year (manicures/pedicures/nail art/gel/acrylics etc)
· Cosmetic Therapist of the Year (make up/semi-permanent/skin peels/advanced treatments/laser etc)
· Beauty Salon of the Year (trading more than 18 months)
· Training Centre Excellence Award (hair or beauty - open to colleges/salons/individuals)
· Special Achievement (an individual or team who has risen to a challenge or overcome adversity).
· Lifetime Achievement Award (special award for someone who has dedicated their life to their profession and encouraged and inspired others along the way).
NOMINATE BY TEXT
Simply send a text message starting with pen hair, the nominee’s name, salon and category plus your name, house number (or house name) and postcode to 61500. The total message must not exceed 155 characters. All text messages cost £1 plus standard network charge. The closing date for nominations is midnight on May 5, 2013. Messages received after the closing date will not be counted but may still be charged. Example of message: pen hair emma at my salon hairdresser joan smith 1 ab1 23cd
By supplying your telephone number you are happy to receive SMS/MMS messages from Johnston Press and its approved business partners. Johnston Press (or via its agents) and its business partners may contact you about new promotions, products and services. Please add the word EXIT at the end of your message if you do not wish to receive these. For quality and training purposes we may monitor communications. Service Provider: Velti DR Ltd SE1 8ND - 020 7633 5000. Ref: PEN1307MEAA