Hampshire firefighters issue warning after cigarette blaze

Share this article
A main road has been closed off after a suspected bomb was found

COUNTY: Urgent police hunt begins after raiders steal shotguns

0
Have your say

TWO fires may have been started due to discarded cigarettes.

Fire crews from Fareham fire station were first called to Lee-on-the-Solent Golf Club at around 6.30pm yesterday.

A small grass fire is believed to have been started by a cigarette end, which had been thrown away.

The retained Fareham fire crew and one crew from Portchester retained station were then called to a similar fire 10 minutes later.

This time firefighters were called to the lower railway embankment, near Ocean Close.

Watch manager Ian Cambridge said: ‘The fires are believed to have been started because people discarded cigarettes without putting them out.

‘With the hot, dry weather we would always advise people to be extra cautious when throwing away cigarette ends and make sure they are out.’