ROAD names for the new Royal Hospital Haslar could commemorate people who have historic links to the site.
The Haslar Heritage group said it was ‘delighted’ after being asked to provide the names of the roads and areas in Haslar, Gosport.
We were pleased to provide these names thereby ensuring that some of the names associated with Haslar would make their mark on Haslar.Eric Birbeck
The group was asked by Our Enterprise Haslar Ltd.
Member Eric Birbeck said: ‘We were pleased to provide these names thereby ensuring that some of those associated with Haslar would make their mark.
‘What we did not allow for was that some of the names would be passed over because they are already in use in the area.
‘It was a very difficult process and it took us about three to four months to arrive at our decision.’
‘The Terrace has always been known as this since the Haslar terrace was built behind it in 1798 and Governor’s Walk was always called this because the governor actually walked this route to and from the hospital and his office over the centuries.’
The Royal Hospital Haslar had a distinguished history providing medical care for the Royal Navy, armed forces and civilian patients throughout four centuries.
The heritage group aimed to celebrate this history by naming the roads and areas after people who helped design and build the hospital, and those who served in the hospital.
‘We as a group are all for Haslar,’ added Mr Birbeck.
‘We felt that we wanted to tell the story, history and heritage of the hospital when we named the roads.
‘Doing this was fantastic and we were so happy to do it. We were delighted.
‘This hospital has so much history behind it and these road names can be used to remember those who made this the place it is.
‘Sir John Richardson Avenue is an important one for me.
‘He travelled with John Franklin in search of the North West Passage between 1819 and 1822.’
The plans for the new roads’ names are currently being approved by Gosport council.
Contenders for road names
The Terrace: The road in front of Haslar terrace, built in 1798.
Governor’s Walk: The route the governor took.
Errol Court: The Errol Hall was opened in 1913 following a bequest from the widow of Cdr George Erroll.
Langdon Way: only non-Haslar name in respect of a director of the parent company who died recently.
Mackenzie Place: Eliza Mackenzie was sent to set up a naval hospital during the Crimean War.
Huxley Way: Thomas Henry Huxley, a naval surgeon, left Haslar in 1845 to work with Charles Darwin.
Wakely Drive: Sir Cecil Pembrey Grey Wakeley served as a surgeon during the Second World War.
Loblolly Lane – The boys who worked in the sickbays of the 18th century.
Sir John Richardson Avenue: Sir John Richardson served at Haslar from 1838 to 1852.
James Lind Avenue: James Lind, a physician at Haslar in 1758.
Jacobsen Gardens – Theadore Jacobsen was the architect of Haslar.