RESIDENTS have spoken of their shock after a fire ripped through a semi-detached home on Hayling Island.
Fire engines from across the patch were sent to deal with the major blaze in Southwood Road at lunchtime today.
Crews with specialist equipment also ensured the fire did not spread to an adjacent property.
Alarmed residents at the scene could not believe what they saw.
Scott Hodges, 42, a local resident, said: ‘I saw smoke as I was driving up the road.
‘I just saw a few people running, there was a door open and a lady was coming out of the house. She seemed okay, initially I thought it was a bonfire. Then I looked up and saw the roof. It was horrendous.
‘I feel really sorry for them, because I think the house was up for sale.
‘It’s a shame.’
The fire tore a massive hole through the property.
A resident of Eastoke Avenue, who didn’t want to be named, said: ‘Someone said there was an explosion.
‘I was in my garden and I saw black smoke coming up. Fire engines were already there. I came down later to take a photograph, but there was just a small amount of smoke coming out.’
The end of Southwood Road has been cordoned off.
The fire is now out, but has caused massive damage to the semi-detached house. People have lined the streets are in a state of shock surveying the damage.