Advice on what to do if you are ill over the bank holiday

Share this article

Support QA Hospital by taking part in Ward Walk

Have your say

THE NHS is urging people to choose the right service for treatment over the bank holiday weekend.

NHS Hampshire is asking members of the public to only use A&E if it’s an emergency and to otherwise use the treatment centres in the area – including St Mary’s Treatment Centre at St Mary’s Hospital in Portsmouth and the minor injuries unit at Gosport War Memorial Hospital.

Alternatively people are advised to seek advice from their pharmacist or NHS Direct on 0845 4647.

Health officials are also urging people to have well-stocked first aid cabinets.

Dr Ruth Milton, director of public health for NHS Hampshire said: ‘If you are unwell or injured, choosing the right NHS service for treatment or advice will help you enjoy as much of the break as possible. It is also important to ensure you have things like paracetamol, plasters and antiseptic wipes for illnesses or injuries you could treat at home and if you have medication on prescription please make sure that you have enough to last you over this weekend.’

For more visit choosewell.