YOUNG Caitlin Cawte has been chosen to officially open Europe’s largest public show aimed specifically at those with allergies and intolerances.
Caitlin, who is 10 and from Cosham, will open the Allergy and Free From show at London’s Olympia on Saturday.
Caitlin has dealt with a severe nut allergy since she was six years old, and has experienced several life-threatening anaphylactic reactions.
Caitlin got in touch with the show’s organisers last year to try and highlight the problems facing younger allergy sufferers, designing an allergy-friendly play zone.
They were so impressed they invited her to open the whole event.
Event director Tom Treverton said: ‘Caitlin’s journey is one that no young girl should have to take, yet, cruelly, millions of children and families are going through, right now.
‘Caitlin’s incredible courage in dealing with her condition, in refusing to let it negatively affect her life and in turning it into something that she can use to positively help others, makes her a genuine inspiration.
‘Caitlin is why our show exists; her story must be heard and allergy awareness and healthcare must improve.’
The Cawte family have been members of the Anaphylaxis Campaign since 2010.
Caitlin’s mum Kerry said: ‘Although the allergy is a big part of our lives, Caitlin is now fighting back and determined not to let it stop her doing anything.
‘To say we are proud of her is an understatement.’