Dad is shocked as parts of his son’s body are found

Shukrya Saida signs up for further information and vouchers, helped by Shona Green. Picture: Vernon Nash

‘You don’t have to make radical changes’: Healthy food campaigners give out advice in Portsmouth

Have your say

A MAN has spoken of his shock after body parts from his murdered son were discovered in a hospital laboratory.

Terry Jeans, from Portsmouth, fought a long battle to bring his son’s killer to justice after he was murdered in Croatia.

ANGRY Terry Jeans.   Picture: Malcolm Wells (131848-8879)

ANGRY Terry Jeans. Picture: Malcolm Wells (131848-8879)

His son, Private Simon Jeans, was attacked by a gang of thugs and hit on the head with a rock on September 8, 1996. He died aged 25 in Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey, nine days later from a brain haemorrhage.

Parts of his son’s body, including his brain, lungs and heart, were held by Surrey Police as they investigated the murder.

These body parts were taken to King’s College London to be forensically examined. When the forensic department closed in 2000, the body parts were transferred to Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospitals on behalf of 12 police forces.

Mr Jeans, said that he didn’t know that the body parts had never been reunited with his son’s body and he now wants to hold a ceremony to bury them, something which the Co-op has quoted him around £1,600 to do.

Mr Jeans, 67, said: ‘Nobody has really said sorry. I haven’t heard that word at all. These things don’t seem to matter to the police, but they do to me.’

Mr Jeans had to spend around £20,000 to bring his son’s killer to justice and said that this new cost is something that he simply can’t afford.

He said: ‘I have been alone doing this and they should be accountable for their errors. It is not about my son or the suffering that this has caused, it’s about money and it shouldn’t be that way.’

A spokesman for Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital said that the body parts had been ‘stored in a sensitive and secure way’ and that once the hospital had identified them last year it had contacted the police forces involved.

A spokesman for the hospital said: ‘Guy’s and St Thomas’ would like to apologise to the families affected for the distress that this situation has caused.’

The hospital also said that it would be liaising with the police to find a way of helping Mr Jeans with the costs.

Detective Inspector Jon Vogel, from Surrey Police, said: ‘At the forefront of our minds throughout this sensitive operation is the need to respect the concerns and wishes of families, to give them a clear, compassionate and open account of the circumstances, and to assist them in the return of the remains of their loved one should they wish it.’

Mr Jeans said: ‘They should be putting right what they have done wrong. It has only made me hateful.’


IT HAS been a long and emotional road to justice for Terry Jeans.

When his son Simon was killed in 1996 in Croatia, it took two years for five men to appear in court. The case was repeatedly adjourned, until four years later, in 2000, the men were convicted of assault and given 16 months in prison. Dejan Skaro, a juvenile, was acquitted.

In 2001, the case went to the Croatian Supreme Court which ordered a retrial.

In 2004, Dejan Skaro, was acquitted again and the judge ruled the military decision to fly Simon to hospital in England contributed to his death.

In 2008, another retrial was ordered after medical evidence refuted this fact.

In June 2011, Skaro was convicted of causing severe injury to Simon by hitting him with a rock and was given a suspended sentence. But Terry appealed against the sentence and in April 2012, 16 years later, he saw justice when Skaro was jailed for 18 months.