People are being warned by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service about the dangers of leaving on hair straighteners.
The fire service is backing a national campaign warning of the dangers of beauty appliances such as straighteners and curling irons.
An estimated 650,000 house fires in the UK have been caused by straighteners or similar devices being left on.
To highlight the issue, Electrical Safety First is launching a new campaign called Pull the Plug.
It aims to remind people to switch off their beauty appliances after they have been used.
One in 12 women admit to having left their hair straighteners switched on at least once and almost half of women have panicked about leaving an electrical beauty device switched on when they are out and about.
Emma Apter, head of communications at Electrical Safety First, said: ‘Straighteners can reach temperatures of more than 235C and can take up to 40 minutes to cool down.
‘Considering that they reach temperatures hotter than a deep fat-fryer, there’s a very high risk of damage or fire if left near flammable materials.
‘Our advice is to pull the plug on your appliances: switch them off when you’ve finished using them and leave them to cool on a mat or heat proof surface.’
Electrical Safety First research has found that people aged between 18 and 24 are particularly at risk.
One in three people in this age group has been burnt by an electrical beauty appliance.
For more information visit electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/pulltheplug or search the hashtag #PullThePlug.