TO REWARD his courage, bravery and quick-thinking, Ethan Riou has been presented with a certificate of congratulations.
As reported, the four-year-old quickly called for an ambulance, after his mum Laura-Anne Mills hit her head and collapsed.
South Central Ambulance Service (Scas) was so impressed with the way Ethan conducted the call that it has given him a certificate.
Ethan, who goes to Rocking Horse Nursery, in Milton Road, Waterlooville, said: ‘Thank you for my certificate.
‘When mummy fell in the bathroom I called 999.
‘I wasn’t scared.’
Will Johnston was the call handler for Scas, who spoke to Ethan.
He said: ‘It’s rare to get a call from children so young.
‘When you speak to a child, you have to change the way you ask your questions, but make sure you get the information.
‘What was so impressive was Ethan knew his address and postcode.
‘He was able to tell us that early on, so while we were getting more details about what happened, an ambulance was already on its way to the house.
‘He really was so amazing, not even some adults can give information like their address as quickly as Ethan did.’
Laura, 30, of Clover Court, in Jasmine Grove, Waterlooville, dislocated her shoulders in a car accident two years ago.
It means her left shoulder dislocates easily at any time, including at 4am one morning in December last year.
Laura had woken up to go to the bathroom.
As she reached for the sink, her arm dislocated, and Laura hit her face and fell down.
Quick-thinking Ethan called 999, asked for an ambulance, and also kept his brother, Finlay, two, calm, during the incident.
In total, Ethan was on the phone for half an hour.
Laura said: ‘I didn’t know how long Ethan had been on the phone for.
‘I am so proud of him and can’t say thank you enough.
‘I also want to say thank you to Will for being so patient with Ethan.’
Laura lives alone with her two boys and has taught them how to call 999 in emergencies, and what details to give.
She added: ‘I’ve had so many parents come to me and say they never thought about teaching their children what to do in an emergency, but after reading this they have.’