Gosport War Memorial Hospital deaths: Inquiry set to report back in June

Bishop James Jones pictured in 2015.
Bishop James Jones pictured in 2015.

Participants needed for Channel 4 weight loss show

Have your say

AN INQUIRY into deaths at Gosport War Memorial Hospital is set to report back to families this summer.

In a statement issued today Bishop James Jones KBE, chair of the Gosport Independent Panel, said families would be informed first with information released to help ‘public understanding’ of the events.

The inquiry is looking into the deaths of a number of elderly patients at Gosport War Memorial Hospital between 1988 and 2000.

A review of the deaths in 2013 found patients had been prescribed a higher than normal number of opiates.

Led by the former bishop of Liverpool — who previously chaired the Hillsborough Independent Panel into the disaster — it was due to conclude in December 2017.

But an extra £5m was pumped in by government last year to continue the panel’s work.

Bishop Jones said: ‘The Gosport Independent Panel will publish its report about the historic concerns at Gosport War Memorial Hospital on June 20.

‘The report will be shared first with the affected families in Portsmouth Cathedral.

‘The report will deal with the families’ historic questions about the care of their relatives in Gosport War Memorial Hospital and the subsequent investigations into their deaths.

‘The report will provide an overview of the documents reviewed by the Panel and will illustrate how the information disclosed adds to public understanding of these events and their aftermath.’

The panel was announced on July 10, 2014.