Inquest into death of ‘lively and vivacious’ woman at Queen Alexandra Hospital

Jennifer Bray
Jennifer Bray
Have your say

The parents of a lively and vivacious 22-year-old woman who died in hospital were today attending her inquest after expressing serious concerns about the standard of care she received.

Jennifer Bray died at the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth four days after being admitted complaining of chest and stomach pains.

Her parents, David and Susan Bray, believe she was not monitored properly or cared for adequately. They say they will be looking for answers to their questions about her treatment at the inquest at Portsmouth Guildhall.

Mr and Mrs Bray said their daughter, who was admitted to hospital by ambulance on July 22, 2013, had a history of anorexia nervosa and alcohol misuse.

She was admitted to the medical assessment unit and then transferred to a ward on July 23. She remained there until the early hours of July 25, when she was found unconscious and transferred to the critical care unit. In spite of intensive treatment, she died in the early afternoon of July 26.

In a statement, Mr and Mrs Bray, of Drayton, said, ‘From the time Jenny was admitted, we were unhappy with her care. No-one seemed to take her condition seriously. It was almost as if they had pigeon-holed her because of her ongoing conditions.

‘We hope that from the inquest we might gain some understanding as to what happened during the last few days of her life by hearing from the doctors and nurses on duty.

‘We remain distraught that our lively, vivacious and talented daughter was taken away from us at such an early age.’

The family will be represented at the inquest by Dr John White, a specialist clinical negligence solicitor at BL Claims Solicitors.

He said: ‘Jennifer’s case raises serious issues about the care which she was provided with at QAH. Whilst Jennifer was clearly unwell when she was first admitted, her parents were told that she would be coming home at the end of the week.

He said the family believed her condition was not being properly monitored; nor was her increasing confusion noted by the doctors or nurses who were caring for her and Jennifer became unresponsive, never regaining consciousness.