THE family of a teenage boy who needed to raise £100,000 for potentially lifesaving treatment have spoken of their relief after the NHS agreed to fund it.
Sam John and his family are ‘over the moon’ after the NHS gave the green light for him to receive proton beam treatment in America.
The 16-year-old, from Albert Road in Fareham, has an inoperable brain tumour and needs to go to the US for potentially life saving radiotherapy treatment.
On Wednesday night, the family had a phone call to confirm the news.
Sam’s dad Steven John spoke of his relief that the NHS will be funding the treatment and that they will take over the organisation of it.
Steven, 44, said: ‘They are supporting Sam’s treatment in America which is a huge weight off our shoulders.
‘They are going to help fund it to some extent.
‘We are certain that all the positivity that we have had from everyone we have met, from old friends to new friends to people we don’t know, has helped in their decision. We have so many people that we need to thank.’
Sam’s mum Vicky John said: ‘We know now that Sam is definitely having the treatment and one of us will be going with him.
‘We are a close-knit family and I couldn’t bear the thought of us being separated so we need to raise enough for both of us to have 10 weeks off work. Although they have agreed the funding, there’s still a lot of work to do.’
The family had been trying to raise at least £100,000 for the treatment and they had received a huge amount of support from the local community.
The family have vowed to carry on with the fundraising so that they can help others who are going through similar experiences.
The treatment will take ten weeks to complete and it will be up to two years before Sam recovers from it.
Proton beam therapy has an 80 per cent chance of working.
The NHS pays for children aged under 16 for this procedure, however as Sam turned 16 in January, he didn’t meet the criteria.