NHS organisations give advice on where to get treatment this winter

Have your say

PEOPLE are being reminded of the right health services to use as winter pressures start.

The clinical commissioning groups covering Portsmouth, Fareham, Gosport and Havant have provided advice on how to choose where to get treatment.

They said going to A&E or calling 999 should be reserved for when someone is seriously ill or severely injured or, if an injury is not serious, they should visit a minor injuries unit.

If an illness is not life threatening but persistent, then an appointment should be made with a GP. Pharmacists can be used for minor ailments.

If urgent medical help or information is needed, or someone is unsure of what service they need, call NHS 111.

Dr Andrew Holden, a representative at south eastern Hampshire CCG, said: ‘As the demand on the NHS increases throughout winter, we rely on people working together, and that includes the public.

‘By choosing the right service, you might be seen quicker and can help relieve some pressure on our frontline staff who can then dedicate time to those more in need.’