Parents’ concerns over daughter’s anorexia support

Becky Green
Becky Green

Hampshire County Council wins grant for mental health projects for men

Have your say

THE parents of a vulnerable woman who died after suffering from an eating disorder want answers over their daughter’s care, an inquest heard.

Becky Green was in and out of hospitals and clinics since she was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa when a teenager.

John and Pamela Green

John and Pamela Green

The inquest in Southampton heard Miss Green weighed just 4st 3oz when she was sectioned under the Mental Health Act on August 20 last year.

The 24-year-old underwent nasogastric feeding – where a tube is inserted in the stomach through the nose to feed a patient – at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham, in a bid to increase her weight, consultant psychiatrist Dr Nicola Foster said. But her parents John Taylor, 55, and Pamela Green, 49, of Burney Road, Alverstoke, Gosport, raised questions about the mental health support their daughter was getting before she was sectioned.

Dr Foster said Miss Green found it difficult to take up the offer of one-on-one specialist help and was also difficult to engage.

Dr Foster said: ‘It was noted she was a vulnerable young woman who was difficult to engage.

‘Rebecca declined to be weighed and continued to express considerable ambivalence regarding her condition.’

She added Miss Green was exercising, using laxatives and inducing vomiting before she was sectioned.

When Miss Green was in QA after being sectioned, she ‘at times interfered with the feeding process for example emptying her food in the bed at night,’ she added.

Her parents disputed this at yesterday’s hearing.

Miss Green, of Sycamore Close, Rowner, Gosport, was first referred to adult mental health services in Gosport when she moved to the area in 2007 and was referred to the eating disorder service.

She was a patient at Marchwood Priory clinic on numerous occasions and was offered help from the eating disorders service. Dr Foster said Miss Green missed some appointments.

Speaking after the inquest, Miss Green’s mother said her daughter did not want to go to day programmes as she found it ‘very difficult’ with other anorexia sufferers present.

She said her daughter wanted more psychiatric help. Mrs Green said: ‘She found it hard to eat in front of them – she found it hard to eat in front of us.

‘She was asking medical staff for help, she was begging them for help.

‘It was devastating seeing her in that condition. It’s not nice to watch.’

After Miss Green was sectioned she was transferred to Marchwood Priory clinic in Southampton.

She was moved to the intensive care unit at Southampton General Hospital on September 4 and developed pneumonia before she died 20 days later.

Area Coroner Gordon Denson adjourned the inquest until May 28.