Parents of toddler who died at Queen Alexandra Hospital awarded £30,000 payout

Anabelle Shepherd
Anabelle Shepherd
Share this article
Kerry Harvey (left) with her mum Eileen (right) and her dad and sister Amy on her 21st birthday

‘Brave, lovely’ Kerry praised four years after controversial breast cancer envy campaign

Have your say

The parents of a toddler who died on Christmas Day are to receive £30,000 after the trust running Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth admitted that the tragedy could have been avoided.

Anabelle Shepherd, who had rare genetic condition Hurler’s Syndrome, was 22 months old when she died of a serious infection at the hospital,

At an inquest into her death coroner Keith Wiseman recorded that Anabelle was not adequately treated by hospital staff.

Now her parents Lee and Leanne Shepherd have agreed to accept compensation from Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust which runs QA after receiving an apology.

The couple, who were represented by BL Claims Solicitors, have accepted the payout on the condition on the condition that they received the written apology and admission that Anabelle would not have died when she did if she had been given appropriate care at QA.

The family also sought reassurances that changes have been made to hospital procedures to minimise the risk of similar failures affecting other families.

Anabelle, from Portsmouth, died on Christmas Day 2012 after being taken to QA by her parents, who were concerned that she had become lethargic and not her usual self.

The toddler had undergone a bone marrow transplant at London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Part of her treatment meant she had drugs to suppress her immune system.

BL Claims Solicitors represented the Shepherd family at an inquest into Anabelle’s death last year at which Coroner Keith Wiseman noted that QAS medics ‘did not give adequate recognition to her vulnerable clinical status.’

Following the coroner’s verdict, Mr and Mrs Shepherd launched legal proceedings against the trust.

Their case was that Anabelle’s life could have been saved if doctors had given intravenous antibiotics and carried out basic monitoring of her condition while in their care.

In a statement, Anabelle’s parents said: ‘Anabelle had gone through so much after being diagnosed with MPS type 1 – Hurler’s Syndrome and after intensive treatment she had the chance of a near normal life. It sickens us every day to think she went through all that she did to have been robbed of her life due to not receiving adequate care, especially from her home city’s hospital.

‘Anabelle getting an infection was not a surprise to us. GOSH had warned us that this may happen and she may need to be admitted to our local hospital to receive IV antibiotics. However sadly when we got to QAH things didn’t go as they should and the correct treatment was not given until it was far too late. Sadly she was let down by them - more should have been done.

‘There isn’t enough money in the world to compensate us for the loss of Anabelle – she was a unique, strong little girl who always had a smile on her face. We knew things could have been so different had the correct protocols been in place. QAH stated at the inquest that changes and procedures have been made and we truly hope so, as our purpose for doing this is to ensure this doesn’t happen to another child or family.

‘We had to pursue this for her and now that it has been admitted and changes have been made we can hopefully move on although Anabelle will forever be in our hearts. Every day we now wake up with a black cloud over our heads and we are just learning how to cope with life with this and without her.

‘Even though Anabelle had Hurler’s syndrome you wouldn’t have known. She was a bright, happy, smiley little star and we are so very very proud to have been her parents.’

MPS Type 1, Hurler’s syndrome is a rare genetic disorder affecting 1 in 117,000 children. Anabelle was the only sufferer of this condition in Hampshire.

Sufferers of Hurler’s Syndrome are missing an enzyme and without treatment, complex sugars accumulate within the body’s tissues, causing damage to their organs and death in childhood.

An effective treatment is a bone marrow transplant so that the new marrow can make the missing enzyme.

Anabelle underwent that treatment at Great Ormond Street in August 2012 and part of this treatment meant that she needed specialist drugs to suppress her immune system to prevent the transplant from being rejected by her body. This left her at risk of infection while that treatment continued.

Anabelle was admitted to QA on December 23, 2012. She was given oral antibiotics but these caused her to vomit almost immediately.

On Christmas Eve, Anabelle was seen by a consultant paediatrician at QA who discussed her case with Great Ormond Street doctors and it was decided to take various tests but these were not reported for many hours.

By the evening it was clear that Anabelle’s kidneys were not working properly.

Further discussions were held with Great Ormond Street and Anabelle was given intravenous antibiotics at midnight. However, at 3am on Christmas Day, Anabelle’s condition worsened and she was rushed to the paediatric intensive care unit at Southampton General Hospital.

Despite the best efforts of medics, Anabelle died at 2.40pm from septic shock.

Patricia Wakeford, an associate solicitor in BL Claims Solicitors’ clinical negligence team, said: ‘Mr and Mrs Shepherd’s main concern in this case has been to highlight gaps and failings in respect of the care Anabelle received in Portsmouth.

‘They wanted to ensure that lessons were learned from Anabelle’s case so that no other parents have to go through what they have experienced. In particular they wanted to ensure that local hospitals are properly equipped to manage issues such as immunosuppression when a patient is admitted.’

A Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust spokeswoman said: ‘The case has recently been settled.

‘We regret the sad events that led to Anabelle’s death and we apologise to the family.’