Results of our Under Pressure week given

The accident and emergency department at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham.
The accident and emergency department at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham.

Hampshire County Council wins grant for mental health projects for men

Have your say

A SURVEY carried out by health commissioners has found that patients highly rate the A&E department in Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham, walk-in centres and the NHS 111 phone service.

More than 400 people responded to The News’ Under Pressure week which looked at health services offered and when they should be used.

A lot of people were also happy with GP services, but lower scores were given to the GP out-of-hours service.

The Portsmouth, Fareham and Gosport, and South Eastern Hampshire Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG), worked together with The News to provide information.

Headline findings include:

n Sixty-five per cent of people rated their experience of making a same-day appointment with their GP as excellent or good.

n Of the 31 per cent of respondents who spoke to a GP when using the out-of-hours phone line, 61 per cent rated their experience as satisfactory or better, but the other 39 per cent said it was poor or worse.

n Of the 25 per cent who said they had an out-of-hours GP home visit, 46 per cent described their experience as poor or very poor, with 39 per cent rating it as above satisfactory.

n Out-of-hours services used in centres such as walk-in centres and hospitals rated higher.

n Two in every three respondents used their pharmacist as a source of treatment and advice.

n Eight out of 10 people said their experience at A&E was satisfactory or better.

Dr Jim Hogan, chief clinical officer for the Portsmouth CCG, said: ‘We would like to thank both The News for its fantastic support with this campaign and all the readers who completed the survey.

‘We feel Under Pressure has considerably helped raise awareness about the various other NHS options people have available to them when they need advice or treatment.

‘Our challenge now is keep reminding people that A&E remains just that, an emergency department, and we will be exploring other ways to get this message across as innovatively as we can, such as social media.’

Next Thursday The News will carry a free NHS guide on where to go for help.