Tyler’s full of life after treatment in America

(l-r) Tyler and his sister  Kirsty with their parents Steven and Tracey Martin
(l-r) Tyler and his sister Kirsty with their parents Steven and Tracey Martin
Cumberland Infant School, in Southsea, took part in a previous Blue Day

Portsmouth family calls for trust’s last Blue Day to be biggest and best yet

Have your say

LITTLE Tyler Martin loves telling his parents how many new friends he has at school.

And it’s all been made possible after the four-year-old spent weeks in America getting lifesaving treatment.

Tyler before his treatment

Tyler before his treatment

Tyler’s cheeky smile shows just far he’s come after being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer around a year ago needing treatment abroad.

He lost sight in one eye when the cancer hit but now he can say: ‘I’m feeling all better now.’

As reported in The News, Tyler and his family, of Mayfields Road, Gosport, flew to America for treatment when the cancer reached just 1mm away from his brain.

Mum Tracey, 30, said the family are waiting for an appointment to see their consultant but they hope everything is fine now.

She said: ‘He’s in school full time. He’s really enjoying it.

‘He loves it, he comes home and says “I’ve got loads of friends”, he can’t wait to go.

‘It all seems so surreal, it was only a year ago that he was diagnosed.

‘He’s had his line taken out – we’ve got to wait and see our consultant. But they did say if anything was seriously wrong they would inform us. It’s all good news.

‘He’s been pretty good all the way through, he’s not let it change him.

‘He still laughs and plays, like any other four-year-old – it’s hectic.’

As reported, the NHS agreed to fly Tyler, Tracey and dad Steve, 47, out to Florida for the treatment, leaving Tyler’s sister Kirsty, three, at home.

But the family were bowled over when the Hayling Businessman’s Golf Society paid £900 for Kirsty’s ticket after seeing the family’s plight in The News.

Tracey said they are all still thankful for the donations.

Despite undergoing gruelling chemotherapy and proton therapy for seven weeks, the family were still able to enjoy the trip, with visits to American football games and an alligator farm.

Tyler faces regular MRI scans to check on his progress.

And although he lost the sight in his left eye, there is no nerve damage so the family is hopeful it may return.

But for now, Tyler is wrapped up in everyday life.

Tracey added: ‘It’s brilliant to see how well he’s coping, to finally have it finished is a big relief.’