Where to go for healthcare over Easter

The Fox and Hounds in Waterlooville. Credit: Google Street View

Waterlooville pub to host prostate cancer fundraiser

Have your say

ADVICE is being given to make sure people know where to go for a medical emergency over the Easter break.

Primary care trust cluster Ship, which covers Portsmouth and Hampshire, says people should avoid going to the accident and emergency department of Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham,

Medical director Dr Stuart Ward said: ‘If someone should become ill or injure themselves, there are a variety of NHS services available and I’d ask people to take care and choose the right service.

‘A&E is not always the right one to choose.’

Ship said A&E is for genuine medical emergencies only, which includes severe blood loss, chest pains, loss of consciousness, breathing difficulties and major fractures.

For other injuries people are asked to use walk-in centres or go to pharmacies.

Alternatively people can also call NHS Direct on 0845 4647.

To find out more visit hampshire.nhs.uk/local-services/choose-well or portsmouth.nhs.uk/your-health/choosewell.