Heating causes fire in Portsmouth flat while occupant was away at work

FAULTY underfloor heating caused a fire in a ground floor flat in High Street, Old Portsmouth.

Saturday, 23rd January 2016, 7:38 am

Three crews from Southsea Fire Station were called in to put out the blaze, which destroyed a bedroom and left the other rooms of the flat with smoke damage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Crew manager Conrad Stockey said the flat’s occupant was at work when neighbours raised the alarm about 1.30pm yesterday. Mr Stockey said it was rare for an underground heating unit to cause a fire. He said: ‘It’s the first time I’ve come across it.’