Hedge catches fire in Fareham after bonfire is out of control

The bomb squad in Portsmouth city centre yesterday

Stanhope Road suspicious device ‘was found in student’s room’ in Portsmouth university accommodation block

0
Have your say

A HEDGE caught fire after a bonfire got out of control.

Firefighters from Fareham fire station were sent to a house in Oak Road, Fareham, after a small bonfire got out of hand.

The fire spread to a nearby hedge.

A spokesman from Fareham fire station said: ‘We were sent to a small bonfire that got out of control in a garden.

‘The fire was put out quite quickly and nobody was hurt.’

Hampshire Fire and Rescue is giving safety advice ahead of Bonfire Night, on November 5.

Advice includes:

- building a bonfire away from trees, buildings and fences.

- only burning dry material.

- never using petrol or paraffin on a fire.

- never leaving a fire unattended.

- avoid having a bonfire on a windy day.

For more information visit hantsfire.gov.uk