Homeowner praises firefighters for rescuing pet dog from blaze

SAFE Firefighters carry Rosie the poodle out of the fire-damaged home.              Picture: Jason Kay
SAFE Firefighters carry Rosie the poodle out of the fire-damaged home. Picture: Jason Kay
Jay Shepherd outside Portsmouth Crown Court

Hayling Island attempted murder trial: Accused asked police “do you really think I stab people?”

Have your say

A DISTRAUGHT homeowner has thanked firefighters and neighbours who rushed into her house and saved her dog when the conservatory caught fire.

The poodle, called Rosie, was rescued from the house in Derwent Road, Lee-on-the-Solent, after a blaze took hold in the conservatory and sent plumes of smoke into the house on Saturday afternoon.

The fire destroyed a conservatory    Picture: Jason Kay

The fire destroyed a conservatory Picture: Jason Kay

The homeowner, who did not want to be named, was out shopping at the time when she received a frantic phone call from a friend, and then shortly after from firefighters, telling her that her house was on fire.

She rushed back to the house to discover that firemen had rescued beloved Rosie, who was in the smoke-filled living room at the time of the fire.

She said: ‘I would like to say thank you to the fire brigade for coming to put out the fire and rescuing the dog.

‘I would also like to say thank you to all of my neighbours for their help and support.’

Rosie is now recovering from her ordeal and the family went to the house yesterday to collect some belongings.

The homeowner added: ‘It looked really bad. We have lost our conservatory but we are fine – everything else is just superficial.’

Fire crews from Fareham and Gosport were called to the fire after passers-by reported smoke billowing from the back of the property.

Neighbour Adam Hickman was out fixing his garden decking when he spotted the plumes of smoke and he also called the fire service.

Adam, 31, said: ‘It looked like a barbecue but after a while it got bigger and bigger so I called the fire brigade, then within 20 minutes there were about 100 people here.’

The fire service arrived at the house at 3.45pm to find the conservatory completely ablaze.

Firefighters stopped the fire from spreading to the rest of the house and the house next door, although the conservatory was 100 per cent damaged by the fire and the house received severe smoke damage from the burnt plastic.

The neighbours on the other side of the terraced house – a woman in her 30s, her young son and their dog – were also evacuated while the blaze was brought under control.

The incident was over by 5pm. It is not known how the fire started, whether it was inside or outside of the conservatory, and the incident has been referred to the fire service for further investigation.