Hospital did its best to help Portsmouth man, inquest told

Sean Green was killed when he was struck near Emsworth railway station on March 24
Sean Green was killed when he was struck near Emsworth railway station on March 24
Share this article
Have your say

AN NHS trust did all it could to help a dad-of-one who died after being hit by a train, a coroner has said.

An inquest at Portsmouth Guildhall was told 43-year-old Sean Green was killed when he was struck near Emsworth railway station on March 24.

The hearing was told Mr Green had a history of mental health issues and had been receiving treatment at St James’ Hospital in Portsmouth. A review was launched at Solent NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, following the death.

In a statement, Mr Green’s sister Deborah Rutland said she asked for her brother to be sectioned three weeks before his death after he took a huge overdose.

She said: ‘They said they would not because he was not a danger to the public. I thought they were very hard on Sean.’

The inquest was told Mr Green, of Barkis House, Brownlow Close, Buckland, suffered with problems since he was abused in foster care.

Dr Darren Minshall, a psychiatrist, said he had diagnosed Mr Green with a personality disorder and said the root of the problem was alcoholism.

But Mr Green refused to go on an alcohol treatment programme and would not reply to messages from the community care team, the inquest heard.

In his last consultation on March 7, Dr Minshall said he offered help to Mr Green.

‘I said “would you like to come into hospital?”,’ he said. ‘He said he wanted to come home.’

Louise Orr, the trust’s operations manager, said the review had not highlighted any failings, but it had improved procedures.

A statement said: ‘All our staff have been reminded to always ensure that a summary of each patient’s risks in their hospital notes also includes information on how all risks have previously been recorded.

‘This is important so that, when required, health professionals looking after the patient have all the information to hand so as to make quick and correct decisions.’

Coroner David Horsley said Mr Green was a ‘complex man with complex problems’. ‘They have done their best,’ he added.

He recorded an open verdict as Mr Green was more than three times the alcohol limit and CCTV showed him staggering around the station. He said it was not certain whether he meant to take his own life.

Afterwards, Matt Eaton, Ms Rutland’s partner, said he was satisfied the hospital had done all it could.