THIS food hamper will give one happy family a great Christmas. The food has been delivered by Flavia Trewin from the Jacobs Well Family Church in Gosport, as part of The News food appeal to help the poor, homeless and isolated over Christmas.
Rachel Delahaye, partner Brian Crump and son William Martin, four, have received food hampers for more than a year after the couple found themselves out of work as a result of the economic climate.
After being given their festive fare, Rachel, 24, from Cornwell Close in Rowner, Gosport, said: ‘I was ecstatic. It’s exciting that we have food to keep us going at Christmas.
‘It’s important. There are a lot of people around that need help.
‘The appeal is brilliant because it gives everybody else the opportunity to give.
‘And it shouldn’t be just at Christmas, it should be all year round.’
Rachel said having the extra food will make for a more relaxed Christmas for the family.
‘It means there’s a lot of stress release,’ she said.
‘Thanks to that, we haven’t got to buy any food for Christmas. This year will probably be the most enjoyable Christmas. I’m actually looking forward to Christmas this year.’
The family have also had a meat hamper delivered so they can cook Christmas lunch.
Brian, 32, added: ‘It helps a lot of people out around the estate and the surrounding area. Everyone finds it hard these days.
‘But I’m over the moon with this. It’s a great achievement to receive something like this.’
This year, volunteers at the Gosport church have delivered 93 hampers – that’s 16 more than last year.
Flavia says she has been astounded by the amount of food that has so far been delivered through the appeal.
‘It’s been an overwhelming response this year from the public and readers of The News. I particularly want to express my thanks from Jacobs Well family church for the generosity that’s been shown. People have supported in such a way that we can go to the families without any stress whatsoever from our charity.
‘We can help people without struggling ourselves.
‘There’s been a great freedom this year to support as many people as we can.’
We are continuing to collect food from the appeal right up until Christmas Eve.
To make a donation, select an item from the shopping list on the right and deposit it at one of our collection points across the area.
WHERE YOU CAN DONATE
· Tesco, Crasswell Street
· Tesco, Clement Atlee Way, North Harbour
· Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
· Sainsbury’s, Fitzherbert Road, Farlington
· Asda, Bridge Shopping Centre, Fratton
· Morrisons, Anchorage Park
· Portsmouth Food Bank, Kings Church, Elm Grove.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 12pm until 2pm
· Morrisons, Lakesmere Road, Horndean
· Asda, Larchwood Avenue, Bedhampton
· Asda, Portland Road, Waterlooville
· Tesco, Solent Road
· Leigh Park Baptist Church, Stockheath Road.
Monday - Thursday from 9am to 12pm
· Asda, Speedfields Park
· Tesco, Quay Street
· Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
· Fareham and Gosport Basics Bank, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham. Open Monday and Friday - 1pm until 3pm, Wednesday 12.30pm until 1.30pm.
· Morrisons, Walpole Road
· Jacobs Well Church, Layton Road, Bridgemary 10am to midday on Tuesdays.
· The News Centre, Hilsea
· Gosport office, 42 High Street, Gosport
· Fareham office, 88 West Street, Fareham
· Havant office, 7 West Strreet, Havant
Alcohol free wine
Box of chocolates
Jar of sauce for chicken
Tin of fruit
Chocolate selection boxes