LIAM O’Malley knows what it’s like to be on the breadline and desperate for food.
He went to the Leigh Park Baptist Church when he needed help after he was made redundant.
So he is fully backing our food appeal to help those less fortunate at Christmas.
Liam, 51, from Soberton Road in Havant, went to the church after the council suggested he paid it a visit when his fridge freezer broke and he couldn’t afford to buy a new one.
The church found him another one and offered him some food as well. Now, he volunteers there.
‘I was so grateful I asked them if there was anything I could help them with,’ he said. ‘They were nice to me.
‘If it wasn’t for this place, some people would be going and getting food out of the bins.’
Liam believes our food appeal is vital to help poor and homeless people across the area.
‘At Christmas time the benefits don’t change,’ he added.
‘People have got to buy all these presents and food.
‘They have got to try and make it as Christmassy as possible.
‘Some people dread it.
‘I have had so much help that I know I can have a nice Christmas.
‘It’s about getting people to come. A lot of people are so proud so it’s important to get the message across.
‘It doesn’t belittle you to say you need help.’
Reverend Jack Walker, said: ‘I believe people want to help but they don’t know how to do it.
‘Through this they will be able to help people who really need it and put a smile on their face and make their Christmas.
‘It’s a time of year when people do feel down and if they haven’t got family, it’s harsh.
‘We will do our level best to help as many people as possible to have a fantastic Christmas.’
To make a donation to the appeal, all you need to do is to select an item from the list on the right when you go shopping, and add it to one of our trolleys after you’ve bought it.
The food will then be distributed to food banks across the area and turned into festive hampers.
We are also encouraging butchers to donate turkeys for Christmas meals taking place across the area on the big day.
WHERE YOU CAN DONATE
· Tesco, Crasswell Street
· Tesco, Clement Atlee Way, North Harbour
· Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
· Sainsbury’s, Fitzherbert Road, Farlington
· Asda, Bridge Shopping Centre, Fratton
· Morrisons, Anchorage Park
· Portsmouth Food Bank, Kings Church, Elm Grove.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 12pm until 2pm
· Morrisons, Lakesmere Road, Horndean
· Asda, Larchwood Avenue, Bedhampton
· Asda, Portland Road, Waterlooville
· Tesco, Solent Road
· Leigh Park Baptist Church, Stockheath Road.
Monday - Thursday from 9am to 12pm
· Asda, Speedfields Park
· Tesco, Quay Street
· Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
· Fareham and Gosport Basics Bank, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham. Open Monday and Friday - 1pm until 3pm, Wednesday 12.30pm until 1.30pm.
· Morrisons, Walpole Road
· Jacobs Well Church, Layton Road, Bridgemary 10am to midday on Tuesdays.
· The News Centre, Hilsea
· Gosport office, 42 High Street, Gosport
· Fareham office, 88 West Street, Fareham
· Havant office, 7 West Strreet, Havant
Alcohol free wine
Box of chocolates
Jar of sauce for chicken
Tin of fruit
Chocolate selection boxes