It’s Southsea Common – but not as we know it...

A dog walkerwades across a flooded Southsea Common''''Picture: Paul Jacobs (14468-12)
A dog walkerwades across a flooded Southsea Common''''Picture: Paul Jacobs (14468-12)
A police car parked outside Catherine House in Stanhope Road, Portsmouth, earlier tonight. Picture: Byron Melton

UPDATE: Man, 20, arrested after ‘suspicious object’ is found at student halls in Portsmouth city centre

Have your say

Large stretches of Southsea Common have been left awash after weekend storms.

So much water is on the grass that thrill seekers have been wakeboarding there. See our video here.

The damaged sails. Picture by News reader Debbie Bowers

The damaged sails. Picture by News reader Debbie Bowers

Winds of up to 80mph and rain caused chaos across the area including flooding along Southsea seafront.

Roads were blocked due to fallen trees, ferry crossings were affected and trains halted and buildings damaged after the Friday night storm.

Even Portsmouth’s iconic Sails of the South on the M275 gateway into Portsmouth took a battering, with one of the panels broken by the wind.

Police received more than 2,000 calls – twice the number Hampshire’s force receives in 24 hours.

Of the 2,033 calls received between Friday and Saturday, 759 were road-related and to reports of flooding or fallen trees.

As reported, some Portsmouth residents received hoax calls from a man telling them to evacuate their homes during the storm.

Police said anyone required to evacuate their home in bad weather would first receive a visit from a uniformed police or fire officer.

Meanwhile fire crews received more than 230 emergency calls and attended some 120 incidents in the 24 hours up until 8am on Saturday.

In Southsea, fallen trees led to the partial closure of Landport Terrace and Hampshire Terrace. Pier Road and Duisberg Way were shut due to flooding.

Elsewhere roads were blocked by fallen trees, including Locks Heath Park Road in Locks Heath.

Part of the A3 northbound near Horndean was shut after a fallen tree blocked the road. Firefighters were called to the area at about 12.30am after one car was struck by the tree and another crashed.

No-one was hurt, the fire service said, and all occupants were attended to by ambulance crews.

Villagers in Hambledon were relieved after surviving the storm without losing power. As reported in The News on Saturday, sailors from HMS Collingwood in Fareham were called to the village on Friday night.

Speaking from the Hambledon incident room Neil Mason said: ‘The navy had a relatively quiet night because we didn’t have the power cuts we were worried about. We had about five trees down, one of which has fallen on a car and the owner’s away.’

In Lee-on-the-Solent a tree fell on Milvil Road near St Faith’s Church.

In Gosport, heavy rain flooded a loft at a home in North Cross Street at 5am.

Firefighters in Fareham were called to help rescue 32 diners from a cafe in Milford-on-Sea in the New Forest.

Meanwhile Hampshire police warned that the recent bad weather has led to an increase in unexploded bombs being found in parts of the county. None so far are in the Portsmouth area but officers urged anyone who finds a device not to touch it but call police.

The Met Office had issued a yellow warning of rain for today – meaning the public should ‘be aware.’